- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup carob powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients
- With your hands, make small carob balls of dough about 1 inch in diameter. You can vary the size, depending on the size of your dog. Make sure though that you do not make the carob balls too big because your dog will have difficulty swallowing them.
- Place the balls 1 1/2 inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 15 – 17 minutes. When done, the carob balls should be firm to the touch.
- Turn off the oven and leave the carob balls inside the oven for 1 to 2 hours in order to harden.
This recipe provides you with 65 carob balls.
CHICKEN AND CHEESE BISCUITS
- 1 cup quick cooking oats, uncooked
- 1/2 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked skinless chicken, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 vegetable oil
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 – 1/4 cup water
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients
- Knead the dough on a floured surface
- Roll out the dough to a 1/2 inch thickness and cut into shapes with a cookie cutter
- Put the biscuits on a baking sheet, 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake at 300 degrees F for 55 – 60 minutes. When done, the biscuits should be firm to the touch.
- Turn off the oven and leave the biscuits inside the oven for 1 – 2 hours in order to harden.
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 beef bouillon cubes, dissolved in 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl until well combined.
- Knead dough for about 1 minute.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out with dog bone cutter and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool completely before feeding to pet or putting in jar.
2 lbs chicken or beef liver
3 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
2 cups cornmeal
1 cup toasted wheat germ
2 chicken or beef bouillon cubes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
These cookies make a healthy and wholesome treate for your favorite canine. They’re economical and easy to prepare, and Fido will know he’s special.
Puree all ingredients in a food processor.
Grease and flour two 9 inch square baking pans.
Bake at 400 F degrees 30 minutes.
Slice into small treat-sized portions and store in small ziploc bags in the refrigerator and freezer. (Some for now, some for later!)
|WHOLE WHEAT DOG TREATS|
2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. wheat germ
1/4 c. milk
1 clove garlic, crushed
4 tbsp. butter, softened
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp. molasses
Combine flour, wheat germ, garlic and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter. Stir in beaten egg, molasses and milk. Add enough water so mixture can be shaped into a ball. Roll dough onto a floured board to a thickness of 1/2 inch. Cut into shapes and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, remove from oven and let cool. Makes about 30 biscuits.